There are several ways to delete old system files. Delete BackUp Files in Windows 10. Windows operating system includes two features – File History, Backup and Restore, helping you to back up your data and system regularly to protect your computer from data loss, etc.
How to Delete BackUp Files in Windows 10
There are several ways to create a backup for windows 10. If you get any error during the latest update, then you can roll back to a previous version or the initial state of windows. Apart from that, these backup files stores in the C: drive and use more space, mainly troublesome for the smaller size drives.
We recommend keeping the backup files unless you have more space on your drive. Windows stores the previous and old backup files that you can remove anytime.
If you are about to remove the backup files in windows 10 then this guide will help you to how to do it.
The following are the best and simple methods, choose a method according to your windows version.
How to Turn Off Automatic Backup
Since you turn on the automatic backup feature, Windows will automatically backup files and folders which are saved to the drive. So, make sure the feature is turned off.
Here’s the process explains you to turn off the automatic backup in windows 10.
- Go to the start or action center and open the settings app.
- Click on the Update & Security.
- Now select Backup options located on the left side of the pane.
- Turn off the toggle of the “Automatic backup my files”.
- Now, you have successfully turned off the automatic backup feature.
- Next, click on more options and then select the “Stop using drive”.
How to delete Back Up files using Power shell or Command Prompt
- Click start and search for power shell.
- Open the Power shell through administration.
- Click on Yes in pop-up windows to allow the permissions.
- Type the following command in the power shell.
fhmanagew.exe -cleanup 0
- Press Enter to execute the command.
- The cleaning process will start immediately according to the no. of days selected.
- Replace the “0” with another number to leave the longer period backup files saved in the drive.
Remove System Restore Point in Windows 10
- Firstly, go to the start and search for the RUN app.
- Use the windows key + R keyboard shortcut to open the RUN app.
- Type “
systempropertiesprotection” and click on OK or press enter.
- Next, go to the System Protection tab.
- Select the “Configure” option, under Protection settings.
- Click on the Delete button to delete all restore points for the drive.
- After that, Choose Disable system protection option to disable the Restore settings.
- Click on apply and then OK to save the settings.
- Again, click on OK then close the window.
Delete the Windows.old Folder
By deleting the windows.old file the last system restore point and backup file shall be deleted. If you are sure to delete the windows.old file follow the simple steps given below.
- Open file manager on your Windows 10 PC.
- Go to the Local Disk C: drive.
- Right-click on the C: drive and select properties.
- Now, click on the Disk Cleanup.
- Or open the RUN command and type “cleanmgr” to open the disk cleanup.
- Select the files to delete and click on the “Clean up system files”.
- Choose Previous Windows installation files and Temporary Windows installation files.
- Click on OK to delete the files.
The clean up process will start and notifies when finished. This will free up gigabites of space in your disk. You can do it once in every windows update takes place.
Remember once you delete the windows.old file you cannot roll back to the previous version at all. So, make sure to backup your files and folders to another drive.